Ideas in light foam – graceful appearance and enormous flexibility of use
Each gram less is an increase of profitability for the airlines! To save weight, means first of all the smart utilization of lightweight and at the same time durable materials.
Beyond the primary effect of weight savings, foam components with their enormous applications-flexibility open up further value-added aspects for aircraft designs. As if PE foams, such as MP15FR, were developed exclusively for applications in modern aircraft, they provide properties that fulfill complex requirements.
PE-Foam MP15FR / PVDF Foam Zotek F
Safety, function and comfort aspects are combined in these materials, which ensure high-precision parts and permanent lasting dimensional stability - even under harsh conditions.
For example: sophisticated »gap fillers«
Cavities are unavoidable, whether inside frame constructions in aircraft interiors, double walls or connecting points of different objects. It is always true that an air-filled cavity shows clear weaknesses both with regard to thermal as well as acoustic insulation. However, it won’t get lighter than air, but ...
... the solution, which effectively insolates, is hardly heavier than air: MP15FR, high-precision shaping with Wulfmeyer.
Doors: up to 50 different insulation parts per aircraft door
A complex interplay of mechanical function modules, drives, seals, and sensors makes aircraft doors one of the most secure access points in technical facilities.
No doubt, filling cavities with insulation components does not only require special precision work, but also safe and stable positioning, because ...
- ... remaining thermal and noise bridges impair travel comfort - especially in passenger aircraft ...
- ... unstable installation of insulation parts endanger the functional reliability of the door elements / door mechanisms.
The latter, i.e. the position-stable fixation, therefore follows a redundant strategy:
- The precise and customized shaping fits firmly into the relevant cavity segment.
- A highly effective, temperature-, vibration- and shock-resistant Wulfmeyer adhesive compound *, for example hook and loop tape, prevents any independent movement of the insulation parts.
This ensures with nearly 100 percent certainty that the molded part won’t fall out or slip, thus hindering and blocking the mechanism.
* Meets all relevant regulatory and OEM requirements, e.g., FAR 25.853, ABD0031
For example: additional window seals
Some airlines integrate special aesthetic accents for their passengers by complementing the manufacturers window seals with foam seals. This improves the appearance of the windows, because these additional seals made with Wulfmeyer precision work from MP15FR, significantly reduce the degree of contamination between the two panes. Fine dust particles will no longer circulate in this area between the panes. In addition, these seals also counteract condensation.
For example: »soft-trim surfaces«
The design of the passenger and crew areas in aircraft has a decisive influence on the well-being and motivation of the people within it, whether they are traveling or working. This applies not only to the optical but also to the haptic design of the respective interior.
The soft touch effect, which is created by underlying of surface materials with a soft, flexible, and extremely light foam layer, provides with each touch a hint of comfort, solidity, and safety. Whether it is the surfaces of partitions, cabin and small cabin walls, seat components such as armrests or the »soft-walk effect« with floor coverings, the ambience fulfills the expectations of the passengers with a perceptible quality plus.
This special field of haptic surface refinement extends the possibilities to achieve more comfort in aircraft cabins.
For example: 2-in-1 solutions
A typical example in which foam components combine two requirements in a single application are the feeds to the air outlets on the seats.
Until now, composite pipes have been installed with an additional thermal insulation jacket and aircraft manufacturers are increasingly using systems made exclusively of foam.
The main advantages:
- Cost-saving by eliminating the two-component design. The foam tube alone combines the optimum air flow with the required insulation values in a single unit
- Weight-saving by utilizing feather-light material
- Easy to install thanks to simple, comfortable installation of the flexible tubes.
»The bottom line«
Weight reduction is one of the key challenges for contemporary and future aircraft design. The possibilities that foam applications open up in terms of weight reduction and stability are far from being exhausted, this includes the efficient and effective replacement of »traditional« materials by foams.
The advantages of Wulfmeyer foam components for thermal and acoustic insulation and for use in the design of haptically appealing surfaces are evident in
- the precision of the designs as well as
- their wide range of application-specific shapes, thicknesses, sizes, and flexibility.
- extremely low material weight
- highly effective insulation
- easy to process
- Resistance to mechanical and chemical influences
- permanently dimensionally stable, even under changing climatic conditions.
The Wulfmeyer team stands ready with their expertise and experience to support your requirements. Straightforward direct communication, reliable just-in-time deliveries, and a high degree of flexibility characterize the dialogue.
Further information: Technical data for download